Ever since the open era of the NCAA Tournament began there has been much concern about the necessity of conference tournaments. Much like a football conference championship, the even provides an opportunity for the league’s best teams to lose, exhaust themselves, and risk injury. Rarely do the top 3 or 4 teams in the regular season affect their NCAA Tournament seeding considerably, so the event focuses on bubble teams and their chance to impress the selection committee one last time.
Some argue that the event, therefore, is not good for the league, and carries little weight. The fact is, however, that as expansion rendered leagues unable to set equitable regular season schedules, conference tournaments mean more than they ever have.
Consider this matrix:
This matrix shows the number of times each opponent played the other top 5 teams in the league. As you can see, UNC is the only team in the Top 5 that had to play the other 4 twice. UVA only had to play one team twice, and was able to feast on the Clemsons and Virginia Techs of the world.
So, in a league where days off and tiebreakers are determined by a single game, the lopsided schedule presents an arbitrary value to teams that supersedes the action on the court. We have to have the conference tournament to determine the champion because with an unbalanced schedule, it is the only way to determine a true champion.
- FirstWatch Coming to Glenwood Avenue September 9, 2014
- Big Shindig Releases Set Times September 5, 2014
- Appearance Commission to Review Residence Inn September 3, 2014
- Raleigh to Host Farm Aid July 24, 2014
- Download the Wake County Schools’ 2015 Calendars July 22, 2014
- Edison Office Tower Heads to Appearance Commission July 15, 2014
- NCSU Unveils New Basketball Court Design June 26, 2014
- 4-Story Mixed Use Planned For Hillsborough St. June 3, 2014
- Crawford Leaves Herons for New Hospitality Group May 19, 2014
- Maybe the Foxes Are Sending “Triangle” a Message May 14, 2014
- Curated Stringed Instrument/Wine Event Coming to Downtown May 8, 2014
- Ashley Christensen Wins Best Chef in Southeast May 5, 2014
- TWC Offering Streaming Set-top Box April 28, 2014
- Need Help Discovering Great Cookbooks? April 15, 2014
- City Barbeque Brings Delicious Range of Styles to Cary April 11, 2014