Ever since the open era of the NCAA Tournament began there has been much concern about the necessity of conference tournaments. Much like a football conference championship, the even provides an opportunity for the league’s best teams to lose, exhaust themselves, and risk injury. Rarely do the top 3 or 4 teams in the regular season affect their NCAA Tournament seeding considerably, so the event focuses on bubble teams and their chance to impress the selection committee one last time.
Some argue that the event, therefore, is not good for the league, and carries little weight. The fact is, however, that as expansion rendered leagues unable to set equitable regular season schedules, conference tournaments mean more than they ever have.
Consider this matrix:
This matrix shows the number of times each opponent played the other top 5 teams in the league. As you can see, UNC is the only team in the Top 5 that had to play the other 4 twice. UVA only had to play one team twice, and was able to feast on the Clemsons and Virginia Techs of the world.
So, in a league where days off and tiebreakers are determined by a single game, the lopsided schedule presents an arbitrary value to teams that supersedes the action on the court. We have to have the conference tournament to determine the champion because with an unbalanced schedule, it is the only way to determine a true champion.
- Food Porn visits: Mami Nora’s February 26, 2014
- FTA Approves Light Rail Development for Chapel Hill/Durham February 25, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Firebirds February 25, 2014
- Union Station Presentation Set for Thursday February 24, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Taverna Agora February 24, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Kimbap February 21, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Zoe’s Kitchen February 20, 2014
- Vinyard Vines Coming to North Hills February 20, 2014
- Triangle Racks Up Beard Nominations February 19, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Casa Carbone February 19, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Red Monkey Tavern February 18, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Busy Bee Cafe February 17, 2014
- Food Porn: Valentine’s Edition February 14, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Taqueria del Sol February 13, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Bahama Breeze February 12, 2014