Red Hat has removed the scaffolding to reveal its bold, red sign atop its new headquarters in downtown Raleigh, and, eh….oh dear. First of all, I’ll admit to being biased by saying that I liked the
The new, rectangular bright red facade atop the building is eye-catching, but only in its garish amount of bright red which stands in stark contrast to every physical structure in downtown Raleigh. It’s as if Red Hat got a waiver on the city’s unusually harsh sign ordinance. I’m sure the CityGate Real Estate owners who are being assaulted not by both the joe schmoes of the Twitterverse and by city councilors for CityGate’s street level video signage, are taking due notice. BB&T and PNC Bank, with their little bitty tower-top signs, are probably also noticing.
Not only is the sign “not in keeping with the neighborhood”, the logo’s vertical alignment is too low in the red billboard to be fully seen from the south (see photos). Whether exiting Memorial Auditorium or entering the city from South Saunders Street, there is no good place to view the sign due to its layout.
Hopefully Red Hat will notice the problems with their sign and correct it. I’m all for tasteful signage, and don’t want a bad sign to cause a knee-jerk response from lawmakers that would would restrict the good signs.
- Aloft Set to Elevate Hillsborough Street October 23, 2013
- NFL Calling? October 22, 2013
- Wine Authorities Opening Raleigh Location October 21, 2013
- Grubb Bringing More Apartments to Lake Boone Area October 21, 2013
- State Fair Introduces Free Pass for Lunch October 16, 2013
- Walnut Creek Amphitheatre Loses Its Name, Again October 15, 2013
- Apartment Complex Coming to Glenwood/Oberlin October 15, 2013
- NCDOT Implementing 70 mph Speed Limit in Triangle September 23, 2013
- Big Changes to Solid Waste Services Begin Today September 3, 2013
- Hunt Library is American Architects Project of the Week August 22, 2013
- Why Restaurants and Grocers Should Trash the Bagged Lettuce August 6, 2013
- DVR Alert: Tift Merritt July 22, 2013
- Download/Subscribe to the Hurricanes ’14 Calendar July 20, 2013
- Quidam July 11, 2013
- Red Hat’s Latest is a Bad Sign July 10, 2013