Red Hat has removed the scaffolding to reveal its bold, red sign atop its new headquarters in downtown Raleigh, and, eh….oh dear. First of all, I’ll admit to being biased by saying that I liked the
The new, rectangular bright red facade atop the building is eye-catching, but only in its garish amount of bright red which stands in stark contrast to every physical structure in downtown Raleigh. It’s as if Red Hat got a waiver on the city’s unusually harsh sign ordinance. I’m sure the CityGate Real Estate owners who are being assaulted not by both the joe schmoes of the Twitterverse and by city councilors for CityGate’s street level video signage, are taking due notice. BB&T and PNC Bank, with their little bitty tower-top signs, are probably also noticing.
Not only is the sign “not in keeping with the neighborhood”, the logo’s vertical alignment is too low in the red billboard to be fully seen from the south (see photos). Whether exiting Memorial Auditorium or entering the city from South Saunders Street, there is no good place to view the sign due to its layout.
Hopefully Red Hat will notice the problems with their sign and correct it. I’m all for tasteful signage, and don’t want a bad sign to cause a knee-jerk response from lawmakers that would would restrict the good signs.
9 CommentsMake A Comment
Leave a comment
- Edison Office Tower Heads to Appearance Commission July 15, 2014
- NCSU Unveils New Basketball Court Design June 26, 2014
- 4-Story Mixed Use Planned For Hillsborough St. June 3, 2014
- Crawford Leaves Herons for New Hospitality Group May 19, 2014
- Maybe the Foxes Are Sending “Triangle” a Message May 14, 2014
- Curated Stringed Instrument/Wine Event Coming to Downtown May 8, 2014
- Ashley Christensen Wins Best Chef in Southeast May 5, 2014
- TWC Offering Streaming Set-top Box April 28, 2014
- Need Help Discovering Great Cookbooks? April 15, 2014
- City Barbeque Brings Delicious Range of Styles to Cary April 11, 2014
- Hunt Library To Be Featured on “Cool Spaces!” April 10, 2014
- New Raleigh Sign Ordinance Causing Chaos April 1, 2014
- UNC Saluting Student Athletes with Statue April 1, 2014
- Duke to Change Football Stadium Name April 1, 2014
- Angus Barn Takes Colorful New Name April 1, 2014