The Lakeland, FL-based chain has nearly 1,100 stores spread throughout Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina. The expansion would mean direct competition for Charlotte-based Harris Teeter, which has stores Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Delaware.
If Publix wants a slam-dunk site in Raleigh, they should go into the former Hannaford and Lowes grocery store spot between Costco and Trader Joe’s. (
An alternative might be the newly razed lot between the old grocery store site and Trader Joe’s. My limited understanding of this former ITT industrial property is that it has had brownfield contamination issues. Depending on the progress of the cleanup, this site could be, and should be developed into a multi-use retail/residential development that ties in to Holly Park to the north, the future light rail corridor to the east, and the Costco area to the south. It is an excellent opportunity looking 10 years forward.
As far as other areas of older north and west Raleigh go, unless an existing grocery store’s current lease is not renewed, it is hard to imagine another site for Publix that could be gracefully executed, to be honest. Perhaps Kids Hill behind Crabtree? Perhaps a corner on Blue Ridge Road? These don’t have nearly the visibility and ease of access. Old Raleigh has very few non-industrial commercial corridors. Therefore the Wake Forest/Six Forks area is absolutely the best option for capturing old Raleigh. There are other lots in that area, such as the Southern States Nissan property, but considerable terraforming will need to be accomplished to deal with the flooding that property periodically experiences.
To be honest, though, Publix could go into any safe area and do well in Raleigh. The sooner the better!
- Download the Wake County Schools’ 2015 Calendars July 22, 2014
- Edison Office Tower Heads to Appearance Commission July 15, 2014
- NCSU Unveils New Basketball Court Design June 26, 2014
- 4-Story Mixed Use Planned For Hillsborough St. June 3, 2014
- Crawford Leaves Herons for New Hospitality Group May 19, 2014
- Maybe the Foxes Are Sending “Triangle” a Message May 14, 2014
- Curated Stringed Instrument/Wine Event Coming to Downtown May 8, 2014
- Ashley Christensen Wins Best Chef in Southeast May 5, 2014
- TWC Offering Streaming Set-top Box April 28, 2014
- Need Help Discovering Great Cookbooks? April 15, 2014
- City Barbeque Brings Delicious Range of Styles to Cary April 11, 2014
- Hunt Library To Be Featured on “Cool Spaces!” April 10, 2014
- New Raleigh Sign Ordinance Causing Chaos April 1, 2014
- UNC Saluting Student Athletes with Statue April 1, 2014
- Duke to Change Football Stadium Name April 1, 2014