The Lakeland, FL-based chain has nearly 1,100 stores spread throughout Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina. The expansion would mean direct competition for Charlotte-based Harris Teeter, which has stores Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Delaware.
If Publix wants a slam-dunk site in Raleigh, they should go into the former Hannaford and Lowes grocery store spot between Costco and Trader Joe’s. (
An alternative might be the newly razed lot between the old grocery store site and Trader Joe’s. My limited understanding of this former ITT industrial property is that it has had brownfield contamination issues. Depending on the progress of the cleanup, this site could be, and should be developed into a multi-use retail/residential development that ties in to Holly Park to the north, the future light rail corridor to the east, and the Costco area to the south. It is an excellent opportunity looking 10 years forward.
As far as other areas of older north and west Raleigh go, unless an existing grocery store’s current lease is not renewed, it is hard to imagine another site for Publix that could be gracefully executed, to be honest. Perhaps Kids Hill behind Crabtree? Perhaps a corner on Blue Ridge Road? These don’t have nearly the visibility and ease of access. Old Raleigh has very few non-industrial commercial corridors. Therefore the Wake Forest/Six Forks area is absolutely the best option for capturing old Raleigh. There are other lots in that area, such as the Southern States Nissan property, but considerable terraforming will need to be accomplished to deal with the flooding that property periodically experiences.
To be honest, though, Publix could go into any safe area and do well in Raleigh. The sooner the better!
- Duke to Change Football Stadium Name April 1, 2014
- Angus Barn Takes Colorful New Name April 1, 2014
- NCSU Commissions Artist for PNC Arena Mural April 1, 2014
- Town of Cary Changes Name to Attract Nashville Star April 1, 2014
- City to Install Speed Bumps on Saint Mary’s Street April 1, 2014
- Big Green Egg Event Coming to Wake Forest March 28, 2014
- Cirque du Soleil Bringing “Michael Jackson The Immortal” to PNC Arena March 27, 2014
- Finding That Great NCAA Tournament Pregame Meal March 22, 2014
- Anatomy of a Meltdown (or…why my stomach is in knots today) March 21, 2014
- The Definitive Guide to PNC Arena Dining March 20, 2014
- 20 Best Dining Options Near PNC Arena March 20, 2014
- gogo’s Alphabetical Channel Guide Shows Where the Damned Channel Is March 10, 2014
- Meet the Zones of North Hills March 4, 2014
- Cowfish Named a NRN “Breakout Brand” March 3, 2014
- Food Porn visits: Torii Noodle Bar February 28, 2014